Cancer: Essentially A Problem of Right and Wrong Fats & Lack of Sunlight?
An important introduction to Dr. Budwig's protocol
Copyright © 2005 - 2016 Healing Cancer Naturally
"What she (Dr. Johanna Budwig) has demonstrated to my initial disbelief but lately, to my complete satisfaction in my practice is: CANCER IS EASILY CURABLE, the treatment is dietary/lifestyle, the response is immediate; the cancer cell is weak and vulnerable; the precise biochemical breakdown point was identified by her in 1951 and is specifically correctable, in vitro (test tube) as well as in vivo (real)..."
Dr. Dan C. Roehm M.D. FACP (oncologist & former cardiologist) in "Townsend Letter for Doctors", July 1990
What would you think if you heard someone claim that there is a diet-based protocol centered on the ingestion of two simple foodstuffs plus sunlight that has actually helped heal numerous cases of cancer including saving the so-called terminally ill - some given a few hours to live!? If you react like many, you will think that this sounds far too simplistic to be true.
And yet it seems to be.
As Dr Willner, M.D., Ph.D. (author of "The Cancer Solution") writes, "Numerous, independent clinical studies published in major medical journals world-wide confirm Dr. Budwig’s findings…. Over 40 years ago Dr Budwig presented clear and convincing evidence, which has been confirmed by hundreds of other related scientific research papers since, that the essential fatty acids were at the core of the answer to the cancer problem…You will come to your own conclusions as to why this simple effective prevention and therapy has not only been ignored—it has been suppressed!". Or as someone commented, "Over the years I have been given a lot of different advice as well, so when I heard about Dr Budwig’s protocol I too was very sceptical, until I tried it."
Before you proceed to reading any further, please know that not everybody reacts the same to this or any other treatment, and that in any healing diet or protocol one may undertake, one should never underrate the often amazing power of the Mind, i.e. the placebo or belief effect, as well as the influence of the emotions and energetic and spiritual factors on both the disease and healing process.
So here are five important pieces of advice before we start:
1. If you do decide to follow the Budwig diet & protocol, give it a fair try, meaning that you follow Dr. Budwig’s instructions to the letter for a while such as at least 1 to 3 months, and then see how you or the patient fares. Dr. Budwig’s instructions are very strict and include no supplements apart from brewer's yeast flakes (and possibly plant-derived enzymes for fat/protein digestion, with herbs ingested in their natural form also being fine), daily fresh ground flaxseeds etc. etc. You can read up on all the details on this site and in her genuine books.
Apart from the possible placebo effect she exerted (as any healing professional who instills confidence in his patients!), Dr. Budwig heavily insisted on her instructions being closely followed since she believed that only in this manner, success could be achieved.
Do not get misled by self-proclaimed “Budwig diet experts” or a self-styled "Budwig center" who combine her basic flax oil/cottage cheese with a regime of their own making rather than with Dr. Budwig's real protocol, claiming to thus “reinforce” the Budwig diet. While such regimes may well be effective against cancer and other diseases, they are a far cry from what Dr. Budwig recommended (for more details and warnings see Oil-protein diet: on self-appointed "Budwig experts" and fake Budwig books misleading cancer patients). Remember that while it is true that much of the conventional cancer treatment approaches is about business (compare On Cancer Business & the Cancer Industry), so is much in the "alternative cancer treatment" field (compare Negative experiences in the alternative cancer treatment field).
2. Healing Cancer Naturally considers minerals and trace elements and the ubiquitous lack of them a major player in cancer genesis and healing, see Minerals. The fact that so relatively few of those who undertake the Budwig protocol today seem to report dramatic success when compared to the near 100% success rate claimed by Dr. Budwig who started treating patients decades ago, might (apart from non-compliance with her instructions) also be related to the reported significant decline in mineral and trace element (as well as vitamin) content in today’s foods, caused by soil depletion and inorganic husbandry. So an important piece of advice would be to look for and incorporate naturally rich sources of mineral and trace elements in your diet. More inexpensive sources are, apart from organically grown foodstuffs, particularly wild herbs as well as seaweeds which I highly recommend adding. Seaweeds among other things contain high levels of iodine which reportedly has anticarcinogenic (toxic to cancer cells) and cancer-preventative properties (more at seaweed).
3. Detoxify in a healthy way (i.e. don't become obsessed with any uncleanliness or toxicity you may suspect in yourself while still striving to get rid of most obvious sources of "filth" in yourself and your environment). See Detoxification.
4. The Budwig diet already prescribes the daily ingestion of quark (cottage cheese) and sauerkraut juice both of which are lactic-acid fermented foods. Judging by another successful cancer researcher's results with cancer patients, the little-known but truly outstanding Dr. Dr. Johannes Kuhl who based his approach primarily on lactic-acid fermented foods and supplements (see Lactic-acid-fermented food treatment for cancer according to Dr. Dr. Johannes Kuhl), this part of the Budwig protocol may be one of the decisive pillars and reasons for its effects. So Healing Cancer Naturally advises the liberal addition of lactic-acid-fermented foods and drinks in the diet even beyond what Dr. Budwig may have explicitly recommended to further enhance your chances of healing.
Incidentally, both Dr. Budwig's and Dr. Kuhl's approach are featured under Greatest Hits, and virtually all modalities listed there are fully compatible with Dr. Budwig's protocol while having obtained cancer remissions as a stand-alone treatment as well.
5. Lastly, but in fact most importantly, Healing Cancer Naturally advises following one's intuition, spiritual guidance or whatever name you may wish to call it as you travel along your journey to health and healing. A beautiful example has been set by Dr. Nancy Offenhauser who wrote a book about her experience called Healing Cancer Peacefullly (Dr. Offenhauser did not use the Budwig approach - as you may or not be aware, there are numerous non-conventional ways which have been used to heal from cancer).
1 Many wild herbs are a wonderful source of nutrition as well as healing, including for cancer. Compare Stinging nettle medicinal effects, Taraxacum (dandelion) medicinal effects and the entire Herbs & Supplements section.
For the most comprehensive coverage world-wide of the oil-protein diet & protocol developed by Dr. Budwig, see
- Dr. Johanna Budwig’s Healing Diet & Protocol incl. excerpts from her books Flax Oil As A True Aid and Cancer - The Problem and The Solution.
For further healing suggestions, see
- Greatest Hits
- Diet & Nutrition
- Juicing & Juicers
- Gerson Therapy (apparently well compatible and possibly mutually enhancing with the Budwig protocol)
- Healing with Light
- Herbs & Supplements
- Healing Cancer & Your Mind
- Lothar Hirneise’s Cancer Research